Growing Napier Grass from Root Slips
One of the most promising crops in the future of sustainable agriculture is a grass that grows wild and needs very little maintenance to produce big time results.
Napier Grass, sometimes referred to as “Elephant Grass”, is being viewed by many ecologists and expert agriculturists as the future of everything from sustaining small dairy farms to a potential biofuel source for cars. Found mainly in the areas of North Africa and parts of India, it is incredibly drought resistant and needs very little water or fertilizer to grow. It’s high yielding, incredibly pest resistant, and stabilizes the soil due to its deep, nutrient rich root system.
One of the few potential challenges that Napier grass presents is growing crops fast enough to meet the ever-growing demands. To meet this challenge, special hybrid versions of Napier grass have been developed to grow rapidly. For instance, Napier grass CO BN 5 can grow up to 3 meters tall in as many months. One issue with cultivating some of the hybrid versions is their lack of seeds, resulting in the need to find other ways to plant and develop new fields.
Planting with the Slip Technique
Agriculture experts have found that the most effective way to develop new elephant grass fields is to use the “slip” technique. A slip is a cutting from the root of the plant that is rich in nutrients. This technique is one of the preferred methods for growing new fields of Napier grass because it doesn’t take long for the grass to multiply from this process, and typically becomes established more quickly.
This approach is used frequently in the “push-pull” method of sustainable farming. In the push-pull method, several different types of crops are planted with each other in the same field (called “inter-cropping”). Elephant grass is planted around the perimeter of the field in an effort to protect the valuable interior crops from pests. The elephant grass attracts or “pulls” pests to it through alluring chemicals it emits that is attractive to many forms of crop-killing pests. Once these pests land on the elephant grass, the grass actually secretes a sticky substance that literally “traps” the pests, preventing them from feeding off of the crops in the inner ring of the land.
Benefits of Planting with the Slip Method
- Resistance to pests and disease.The root slip carries with it all of the original plants’ built-up immunity to bacteria, virus, and pests and does so in an organic way, without the use of pesticides to prevent damage or infestation, which is a major focus of sustainable farming.
- Anatomical Improvement.Planting the root slip from a healthy, mature, hybrid plant provides what is called “root vigor,” meaning that the root slip will provide strength and health to the growing plant. It allows the plant to avoid some of the factors that can damage or destroy a plant growing from a seedling because it is naturally stronger.
- Increased Productivity.The root slip provides an added strength and tolerance to negative factors and also demonstrates slower cellular aging due to root vigor. It also puts the young plant at a more advanced stage of reproductive maturity, allowing for it to be propagated that much faster.
The Slip Planting Process
The process of using slips to plant is relatively straight forward. The slips are harvested, typically from a Napier grass plantation, by using the following method:
- The slips are cut at ground level, typically with little to no growth included on them.
- The root structure is dug up with the slip.
- The slips are then typically cut to 2 inches long.
- The slips are then planted in a new plantation field in small pre-tilled holes, typically 2-3 feet apart to accommodate their future growth.
- The root structure is then covered with soil, leaving the stem open to the air for growth.
For locations that don’t have ready access to wild growing Napier grass or are not nearby a plantation that grows the hybrid plants, there are now many online distributors who sell the slips directly to consumers and farmers looking to promote sustainable agriculture.
With the significant role that Napier grass is slated to play in the future of sustainable farming, finding the best method to grow large quantities of the crop is essential. Planting slips allows for a highly successful and natural way to produce the needed supply of this needed biomass product.
Sustaining Ecological Advancements
- As a perennial (one that regrows itself every year) plant, it requires very little maintenance and will only need to be harvested once a year.
- Elephant grass dries out very quickly, making it ideal for the process of converting it to fuel source.
- Switching from ethanol (a fuel source provided by corn crops) to napier grass could also potentially lower greenhouse gas emissions, as grasses are known to emit less carbon into the atmosphere than corn.
Hybrid Napier Grass
It’s clear that napier grass, a plant once thought to be nothing more than wild-growing ground cover, is set to be the crop of the future. In our continued global efforts to mitigate climate change, it’s essential that we utilize napier grass and other green technologies to protect our resources for years to come.
We'd love to hear from you about your project!
Get a no-obligation quote!
Benefits and other pages
P.S: WE COMPLY AS PER THE (CCRs) VALID PHYTOSANITARY CERTIFICATE AND ISPM-15
MARKING AS PER CBEC INSTR. F.No.450/19/2005-Cus-IV DTD 16.9.13 AGAINST
PRESENTATION OF IMPORT PERMIT AND/OR PURCHASE ORDER
Rivashaa Agrotech Biopharma Private Limited offers to dairy farmers and growers all over the world a revolutionary product hybrid Napier cobn5 slips for planting which has the best range of nutrients needed for your livestock daily diet and growth. Hybrid Napier cobn5 silage grown from the hybrid Napier slips are 100% natural with no preservative, no additive, and just high natural nutrients. We are open to offer in countries like Brazil, India, China, United States, Ethiopia, Argentina, Sudan, Pakistan, Mexico, Australia, Tanzania, Bangladesh, Colombia, Nigeria, Russian Federation, France, Kenya, Indonesia, Venezuela, Myanmar, South Africa, Turkey, Paraguay, Uganda, Germany, Canada, Uruguay, Niger, New Zealand, Uzbekistan, Madagascar, Mali, United Kingdom, Burkina Faso, Bolivia, Iran, Chad, Nepal, Ireland, Italy, Poland, Kazakhstan, Cameroon, Spain, Peru, Afghanistan, Viet Nam, Zimbabwe, Thailand, Ecuador, Guinea,Egypt, Somalia, Angola, Ukraine, Belarus, CAR, Cuba, Japan, Zambia, Netherlands, Nicaragua, Senegal, Guatemala, South Korea, Chile, Morocco, Dominican Republic, Mongolia, Cambodia, Iraq, Honduras, Botswana, Philippines, Belgium, Azerbaijan, Namibia, Turkmenistan, Benin, Eritrea, Tajikistan, Romania, Austria, Algeria, Mauritania, Panama, Yemen, Lao People’s DR, Mozambique, Denmark, Ghana, Côte d’Ivoire, Switzerland, Sweden, Portugal, Haiti, Kyrgyzstan, Czech Republic, Costa Rica, Malawi, Sri Lanka, Rwanda, Georgia, SAR, Serbia, Finland, El Salvador, Norway, Burundi, Hungary, Malaysia, Congo, Lithuania, Greece, Guinea-Bissau, Lesotho, Armenia, Tunisia, Swaziland, Sierra Leone, Korea, Bulgaria, Saudi Arabia, Slovakia, Albania, Israel, Slovenia, Bosnia, Croatia, Gambia, Togo, Latvia, Puerto Rico, Oman, Bhutan, Congo, Fiji, Djibouti, Estonia, Macedonia, Libya, Luxembourg, Republic of Moldova, Vanuatu, Jamaica, Timor-Leste, Taiwan, Belize, Guyana, UAE, Papua New Guinea, New Caledonia, Montenegro, Lebanon, Guadeloupe, Jordan, Iceland, Cyprus, Comoros, Suriname, Liberia, Gabon, Kuwait, Trinidad, Palestinian Territory, Reunion, Samoa, Cabo Verde, French Guiana, Martinique, Malta, Solomon Islands, Dominica, Micronesia, Tonga, Barbados, Qatar, Saint Lucia, Bahrain, Montserrat, Virgin Islands, French Polynesia, Mauritius, Saint Kitts, Liechtenstein, Equatorial Guinea, Antigua, Saint Vincent, Grenada, Falkland Islands, BVI, Faroe Islands, Cayman Islands,Hong Kong, Sao Tome, Brunei, Bahamas, Saint Helena, Netherlands, Bermuda, Seychelles, Singapore, Guam, Cook Islands, Niue, American Samoa, Wallis, Saint Pierre, Greenland
This website is updated and maintained by Rivashaa Agrotech Biopharma Private Limited. As a matter of policy, Rivashaa Agrotech Biopharma Private Limited does not entertain any anonymous or pseudonymous inquiries.